Let's slow down a bit during the holiday season! There is sooo much to do and experience. What can you "take off your plate" to relax and enjoy your day more? Here are 3 tips - An easy elegant post-holiday dinner recipe, a 5 min relaxation, easy and meaningful gift finding & giving.
1.Easy Relaxing Post Holiday Dinner
After the big holiday meals, it can be tough to know what to cook that is quick and easy and not a leftover. Here is a show stopper dish that is perfect for that in-between Christmas and New Year timeframe or for when you have more things to get done than time to do it in.
When I served this recipe, there was a moment of surprise and mystery because everyone had a packet of foil on their plate but were not quite sure what foods and flavors were inside.
It is kind of fun when everyone is opening the packet and steam is rising out and all the colors of the meal are revealed.
Of course the exceptional flexibility of ingredients is another reason to love this recipe- lots of options of what you can put in each packet. Oh and did I mention super duper easy clean up? See recipe below.
2. Lite a Candle
Another easy way to relax is light a candle. Set your phone timer for 5 minutes. Put your phone away somewhere you can't see it (a very critical step here). Watch the candle for 5 minutes- but no multi-tasking. You get "bonus points" for more relaxation if it is quiet, and you breathe only through your nose and empty your mind so you can just think only about your breathing. Just watch the flame... just 5 minutes.
Give a gift of a getaway filled with adventure, memories, reconnecting and FUN. Gift certificates for fun-filled getaway experiences at our luxury Bed & Breakfast can be easily bought online here and are emailed to either you or your gift recipient.
Recipe: Easy Packet Fish
You will need a cookie sheet, tinfoil (or parchment paper). Each person gets a packet of fish on their plate for them to open. Recipe can be scaled up or down. Per packet means per person. Also, you can make it ahead of time and put in fridge... just make sure to bring to room temperature before cooking.
1 teaspoon Olive Oil per packet
Fish- about 5 ounce portion per packet (Salmon, Trout, Catfish, Swordfish, Red Snapper, Cod, Sea Bass)
1/2 tsp Lemon Juice or 2 slices Fresh Lemons per packet
Spices- Pick 1 or 2 spices fresh or powdered from your spice rack (1small sprig Rosemary per packet, Chives, 1/2 clove garlic per packet, 1/4 onion per packet, 1/2 tsp. Italian Seasoning)
Vegetable Options- Pick what you like or a combo and have on hand. Measurement is "a small handful" per packet but don't overfill just pick max 2 vegetables: Broccoli, Red Bell Pepper, Green Beans, Sliced Olives, Grape Tomatoes or 2 slices big Tomato, sliced or diced Zucchini
Special Option- If you have a few extra minutes, you can add a 1/2 a potato to each packet however there is a catch- you have to dice it small and boil it for 4 minutes before putting it in the packet with the fish. But this is super yummy because the potato soaks up all the flavors. Don't worry if you don't have time for boiling potatoes, it is still an excellent dish without potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Season the fish with salt and a little pepper on both sides. Tear off a sheet of foil or parchment big enough to hold one fish portion, vegetables and enough to roll the top and sides together to form a "packet".
- On each piece of foil/parchment rub a 1/2 teaspoon of oil and put one piece of fish on top in center of foil.
- Drizzle lemon juice on top of fish. Slice your vegetables then put them on top of fish. Put seasoning on top of everything.
- Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon (or more) of olive oil on top of everything.
- Close up packet. Roll the two ends together and sides rolled up so no liquid can escape during cooking.
- Put packets on cookie sheet. (You could put a name on a packet or a mark to note whose packet is whose if someone filled their packet with something only they wanted).
- Cook for about 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes. Place one closed packet on each plate. Enjoy!!!
To Reserve your luxury escape of relaxation and fun, click here.
Or to give this gift of relaxation, fun, and reconnecting click here.