What It’s Like to be an Innkeeper in New Hope, PA
After a great vacation, I imagine what it would be like to live and work there. Lots of folks ask me what it’s like to be an innkeeper.
So here is the breakdown of what it’s like to own a bed and breakfast like the Fox and Hound Inn of New Hope.
First of all you are the boss and get to live in a resort town with major Bucks County attractions, amazing restaurants, concert venues and the Delaware river all in walking distance.
One of the hazards of innkeeping is of course the constant exposure to fantastic homemade cakes and breakfast casserole dishes that talented chef and innkeeper Sara and John make. We won’t even get into how great the kitchen smells with all this wonderful baking and cooking. What a temptation!
- You become excellent at folding fitted sheets.
- You can cook a pretty mean egg.
- You learn how to weather thru a hurricane while taking care of 25 people in the house. (including my family evacuated from the shore) and run a generator.
Saw a rainbow on our front lawn! Makes for a special day and good photo. And maybe even a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! lol
A rainbow on our front lawn! Makes for a special day and good photo, and maybe even a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow! lol
- People you encounter throughout the day are generally very happy.
- When talking to folks from other states and countries, you maintain a desire to travel to new places. (And I get to use my French, Spanish and German even though I’m a little rusty.)
- The inn doesn’t close for holidays. Owning a bed and breakfast means needing extra extra uber extra planning to getaway on vacation. I’m lucky that Sara and John and Ligia watch the inn while we getaway for a day or 2 or even for 2 weeks in China to adopt our beautiful daughter.
- The workday can be long; from early breakfast preparation to afternoon and evening check-ins…. and we wouldn’t be able to do it all without our wonderful innkeepers Sara and John.
I am a positive person overall and the innkeeping lifestyle is one that I am usually happy with.
Running a bed and breakfast or being a guest at one: What would you prefer? 🙂